3e provides Environmental Testing services for Asbestos, Lead, Mold, Legionella, Indoor Air Quality, PCBs, and waste characterization. Our team includes Virginia-licensed Asbestos Inspectors, Asbestos Abatement Project Monitors and Management Planners, Lead-based Paint Inspectors and Certified Hazardous Materials Managers (CHMM). We successfully completed over 1,500 tasks for projects requiring the identification and abatement of regulated asbestos-containing materials (RACM) and lead-based paint (LBP). Our inspections, sampling/analysis, documentation, and associated reports are conducted/prepared in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements of the EPA National Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) & OSHA Asbestos & Construction Standard, RCRA Waste standards, and TSCA management standards.
Services and Qualified Staff
- Asbestos Inspections and Abatement Monitoring
- Quantitative and Qualitative Lead-based Paint Inspections
- Testing for Lead, PFAS, and Copper in Drinking Water
- Testing for Legionella, Mold, Indoor Air Quality, PCBs, and Waste Characterization
- Vapor Intrusion Studies
Qualified Staff include:
- Certified Asbestos Project Designers and Project Monitors
- Certified Asbestos Management Planners
- Certified Asbestos Inspectors
- Certified Lead Inspectors
- Certified Hazardous Materials Managers
Relevant Project Experience
Chesterfield County, Virginia - Environmental Testing
3e completed more than 350 individual project task orders under three consecutive term service contracts in the past seventeen years for various Chesterfield Departments. Environmental Testing services include:
- Asbestos-Containing Materials (ACM) inspections, abatement design, and abatement monitoring at over 100 County facilities. 3e developed policy, guidance, and training documents for handling ACM and LBP in County buildings, and utility lines. 3e has also completed negative exposure assessments (NEA) for work practices by County employees and developed standard operating procedures based on the NEA.
- Legionella testing of cooling towers at multiple schools. 3e worked with CCPS to establish testing protocols for Legionella in accordance with the Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidance, and American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers Standard 188-2018. 3e also provided proactive voluntary sampling, follow-up testing for reported detections, and confirmation sampling following cleaning and disinfection of water systems.
- Mold and moisture assessments at multiple County facilities.
- Lead and Copper in Drinking Water testing in all schools.
- Mercury testing of gymnasium urethane flooring scheduled for removal/disposal.
- Pre-demolition inspection of eight schools for hazardous materials. Based on inspection results, prepared bid specifications for removal and management of all regulated hazardous materials
City of Roanoke, Virginia - Environmental Testing
3e has been supporting the City of Roanoke on several contracts since 2009, including environmental consulting services and EPA-funded brownfields assessment and cleanup projects. 3e performed multiple ACM and LBP inspections to support building repairs and demolitions, ACM abatement monitoring for renovations to the Berglund Civic Center, vapor intrusion studies, and comprehensive site assessments supporting downtown redevelopment.
Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services, Statewide - Environmental Testing
3e serves the DBHDS under a term contract for environmental engineering services. Environmental testing services include:
- Legionella testing and Water Management Plan development for multiple facilities. 3e worked with the facilities and their architects and engineers to develop comprehensive Water Management Plans in accordance with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) 2017 mandate.
- Waste characterizations. 3e coordinated the removal of solid waste and inventoried and coordinated the proper disposal of abandoned chemicals as part of the closure assistance of two separate DBHDS facilities.
Virginia Department of Military Affairs Environmental Services, Statewide - Environmental Testing
3e provided comprehensive environmental engineering services for approximately 60 facilities across the Commonwealth for the Virginia Army National Guard (VAARNG) since 2002 under four consecutive Indefinite Delivery contracts for environmental and engineering services. Environmental testing services include:
- PFAS in drinking water testing for 22 VAARNG facilities in accordance with the Army Guidance to Address Perfluorooctane Sulfonate (PFOS) and Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) Contamination.
- Hazardous waste management, universal waste and non-hazardous waste characterization and disposal for over 50 VAARNG facilities statewide, including used oil, oil filters, spent bulbs, used batteries, waste antifreeze, miscellaneous chemicals, waste paint, parts washer fluid, washrack and OWS sludge.
- Coordination with waste disposal vendors to develop waste profiles, schedule pickups, purchase storage containers and labels, etc.
- Developed Hazardous Waste Management Plan for DMA which outlines proper waste management, labeling, storage, and disposal for all major waste streams.
- Manage annual vehicle washrack cleanouts at MTC-Fort Pickett.
- ACM and LBP sampling and analysis prior to demolition/renovation projects.
- Stormwater sampling from multiple outfalls for VPDES permit Monthly groundwater monitoring for underground fuel piping at Army Aviation Support Facility in Sandston, VA.
VDOT Hazardous Materials & Regulatory Compliance, Statewide - Environmental Testing
3e was recently awarded the fifth subsequent open-end contract with VDOT for statewide hazardous materials and regulatory compliance consulting services. 3e completed 1,350+ projects since 2006 for a wide range of roadway improvement corridors and infrastructure maintained by VDOT. Services provided under these contracts include ACM inspection and abatement project monitoring services for various structures and bridges, and LBP characterization for bridge de-leading projects.
Bristol Redevelopment & Housing Authority, Bristol, Virginia - Environmental Testing
3e’s team of licensed inspectors completed ACM and LBP inspections for approximately 400 housing units in the City of Bristol, Virginia. The inspection protocols were developed in accordance with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) guidance. Quantitative and qualitative screenings and analyses, along with statistical analysis, were utilized to estimate the potential quantities of regulated ACM (PACM) and LPB that would require specials provisions and abatement prior to the implementation of proposed renovation projects.
Virginia Department of Corrections, Statewide - Environmental Testing
3e has held three consecutive term contracts with the VDOC and performed over 45 tasks involving ACM and LBP investigations and abatement monitoring to support maintenance and repair of various buildings. Services were provided to small facilities as well as large correctional centers that require security clearances and training for access. All work was completed in accordance with the Virginia Construction and Professional Services (CPSM) Manual.